Iridium and Inmarsat I4 have very similar coverage areas (Iridium covers the globe fully, while Inmarsat does not cover polar regions). Iridium uses LEO satellites, while Inmarsat utilizes GEO satellites. This affects some aspects of their usage.
For more information on differences between LEO and GEO satellite networks check out the article: Differences between LEO and GEO satellite phone networks.
Satellite Phone FAQ publishes in depth reviews of satellite phone providers and accessories. Read additional information on different satellite phone networks:
More Frequently Asked Questions
- Which Iridium satellite phone should I choose?
- What are satellite phones for?
- Will the old Globalstar handhelds work with the new Globalstar satellite network?
- What is a dual mode satellite phone?
- Do satellite phones have global coverage?
Check the complete list of questions on the FAQ page.