Australia is currently covered by three satellite phone networks: Iridium, Thuraya and Inmarsat. Iridium phones are still most popular for land usage, while Thuraya is also gaining ground since it launched its Thuraya 3 satellite which covers Australia fully. It’s a somewhat cheaper alternative to the Iridium satellite phone. There are some differences in how both these networks work, with Iridium having LEO satellites in it’s constellation, while Thuraya is using a singular GEO satellite to cover Australia.
Satellite Phone FAQ provides in depth reviews of satellite phone services and accessories. Read additional information on different satellite phone providers:
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- What are satellite phones for?
- Do satellite phones have global coverage?
- What is a dual mode satellite phone?
- Will the old Globalstar handhelds work with the new Globalstar satellite network?
- Which Iridium satellite phone should I choose?
Browse through a complete list of questions on the FAQ page.